BBC News - Written or unwritten - is there a perfect constitution?

Michael Goldfarb By Michael Goldfarb Writer and broadcaster
Protest at the Supreme Court
Should Americans profess a blind devotion to the constitution?

Like most folks who end up living across an ocean from where they were born, I find myself occasionally frustrated by the sheer pig-headed, stubbornness by which people in my new country, the UK, cling to the customs that clearly have no value in the modern world.

In Britain, these customs often revolve around outmoded political structures traceable to the fact that this country somehow has made it to the 21st Century without a written constitution.

When I find myself dissecting some political or legal problem with British colleagues, I have been known to throw up my hands and say: "What this country needs is a new constitution and this time you need to get it in writing." [...]

Full article at bbc.co.uk

 

Posted via email from Moments of Awareness

Comments