Social Media Is Not Creating The Laziest Generation - Christopher Correa - ChangeBeat - Forbes

Today on CNN.com, comedian Dean Obeidallah wrote a fascinating piece with a premise that I’m still struggling with: Are social media creating the laziest generation?

My gut reaction is to give an emphatic yes, followed by, “and get off my lawn you kids!” But I don’t think Obeidallah is giving people enough credit:

We are the reality-show generation. Instead of doing, we watch: We watch people sing, dance with B-level stars, fist pump, pawn stuff, pick a husband/wife, get extreme makeovers to their homes and faces, be ‘real’ housewives, keep up, lose weight, go to rehab, get fired, survive.

Reality programming is at a unique crossroads at this point, I think. Who is the “we” Obeidallah references, I wonder? Game shows and sports were being televised not long after Philo Farnsworth invented TV technology. But when I think of Reality Shows as they are recognized today, I look to MTV.

[...] 

Full article at blogs.forbes.com

 

Posted via email from Moments of Awareness

Comments