How Social Media Can Induce Feelings of ‘Missing Out’

As the alerts came in, my mind began to race. Three friends, I learned, had arrived at a music venue near my apartment. But why? What was happening there? Then I saw pictures of other friends enjoying fancy milkshakes at a trendy restaurant. Suddenly, my simple domestic pleasures paled in comparison with the things I could be doing.

The flurry of possibilities set off a rush of restlessness and indecision. I was torn between nesting in my cozy roost or rallying for an impromptu rendezvous, and I just didn’t know what to do.

My problem is emblematic of the digital era. It’s known as FOMO, or “fear of missing out,” and refers to the blend of anxiety, inadequacy and irritation that can flare up while skimming social media like Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare and Instagram. Billions of Twitter messages, status updates and photographs provide thrilling glimpses of the daily lives and activities of friends, “frenemies,” co-workers and peers.

The upside is immeasurable. Viewing postings from my friends scattered around the country often makes me feel more connected to them, not less. News and photographs of the bike rides, concerts, dinner parties and nights on the town enjoyed by people in my New York social circle are invaluable as an informal to-do list of local recommendation. [...]

Full article at nytimes.com

I think Ms. Turkle says it perfectly when she says, "'In a way, there’s an immaturity to our relationship with technology,' she said. 'It’s still evolving.'" There's an immaturity to our relationships with each other in light of technology, really. It won't take long for us to realize it's just a matter of choosing what's important to us and choosing not to judge ourselves or others for making different choices at various times.

Posted via email from Moments of Awareness

Comments