Scam alert: Resolve to check out gym before joining | Scam and Consumer Alerts | Idaho Statesman

Yes, I did it. I set a goal to hit a target weight by my birthday this year. No, it’s not a higher weight than I’m at now. I also set a goal to ride my bicycle at least halfway up Bogus Basin Road on my birthday. What was I thinking? And now I’ve told the world. Here’s to accountability in 2011. I have a lot of work to do.

If you made health-related goals or resolutions this year, joining a gym might be part of the plan. Before you dive in, take a moment to consider this:

At the national level in 2010, the Better Business Bureau received 6,359 complaints about gyms and health clubs, putting the industry in the top 25 for the most complained-about businesses. In Idaho, the BBB received 108 complaints — ranking the industry at No. 5 for complaint volume.

Here are some things to think about before signing up for a membership:

ASK THE GYM

• What are the terms of any introductory offers? Gyms often use special introductory offers to lure in new members. Make sure you understand the terms and the price after the introductory period is over.

• Will my membership renew automatically? Every year the BBB receives numerous complaints from people who joined a gym and didn’t realize their contract would renew automatically.

• How can I get out of my contract? Getting out of a gym contract isn’t as easy as getting into one. Make sure you understand what you’ll need to do to cancel.

• What happens if I move? Gyms have a variety of policies when it comes to how moving will affect your membership.

• What happens if the gym goes out of business? BBB often receives complaints after a gym closes, taking customers’ money. Ask the gym to explain what will happen to your money if it suddenly goes out of business.

ASK YOURSELF

• What are my fitness goals? Determining this will help you select an appropriate facility. If you have a serious health condition, consult with a medical professional.

• Is this location convenient? Choose a club that is close to work or home so the location is not a deterrent to exercising.

• Can I really afford this? Monthly fees add up and, after any introductory periods are over, the price could jump higher than your budget can handle. Do the math before you join.

• Am I feeling pressured to join? Do not give in to high-pressure sales tactics. A reputable gym will give you time to make an informed decision.

• Did I get everything in writing? Read the contract carefully and make sure that all verbal promises made by the salesperson are in writing.

Dale Dixon is president and CEO of the Better Business Bureau, a not-for-profit organization serving Southwest Idaho and eastern Oregon. Reach him at 342-4649 or ddixon@boise.bbb.org.

Posted via email from Peace Jaway

Comments