Pregnancy Feedback

Hi Christy,

    Thanks for a prompt and thoughtful reply. Again, I'm sorry to have left you with the impression that my feelings toward your profession are negative. Would you be willing to help me correct that impression, which I assume must have come from our web site? I make every effort to be clear that my choices are just that, *my* choices, and that I fully support others (quite strongly in fact) in making the decisions that are right for them, whether they choose a path similar to mine, a pre-scheduled C-section, or any option in between. When your patients choose to put their birth experience in your hands, I'm sure they are, as I would be if I were one of them, grateful for your educated and well-meaning presence, and I'm sure that the decisions you're asked to make are often difficult as were some of the decisions I was called to make in walking the path I chose. I have no desire to discount your profession (and I appreciate your respect for my decisions), so again, if you could direct me to those places where I've seemed to do so I'd like to look at seeing how I might correct that impression.

    Thank you for your good wishes regarding our son. He's a joy and a wonder (as are all children), and I expect will bring us our fair share of challenges. :-D Congratulations to you too! I imagine at fifteen months you're dealing with a whole other set of joys, wonders, and challenges than we are at three+ weeks. :-> Again, take good care.

Love
Peace
----- Original Message -----
From: Christy W. (cbelz@houston...)
To: Peace
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 10:30 PM
Subject: Re: Pregnancy Feedback

Peace,
I fully respect your decisions as a mother to do what you have done. I am a labor and delivery nurse at metropolitan hospital and I see the wonders of childbirth each day. I also see all too frequently midwives'/homebirth deliveries gone awry. Even the most educated and well-meaning people face difficult odds at times. I just feel like you have painted a negative picture of what we do. I agree that there are sometimes unecessary c-sections and operative assited births, but for those few, there are many more that are needed. I'm afraid too many women without your knowledge will read your story and make a wrong decision somewhere. But then again, I worry too much... Congratulations and enjoy your son as much as you can. As the mother of a 15 month old rambunctious little boy, I say those words with meaning!
Christy

Comments