From NagnetoLives

Even though the Bible doesn't actually say the earth is flat, the point is made. One must give credit to Christianity in it's ability and determination to decide who will do what with whom and when, where, and how it will be done. Anyone fighting what feels like a lost cause could take a note or two from their success. But the lesson here is do any of us really want to have our lives determined by anyone else's morals?

The usual response to mentions of anarchy is that if it were to come about we'd all inevitably just kill each other off until there was no one left. I disagree. We are no longer just *social* animals, but *domesticated*. We are largely not equipped to live in the wild, and many of those who seem to be doing so aren't wild (never tamed) but feral (once-tamed, wild again, afraid of humans). We crave comfort, convenience, a warm place to sleep, and ready access to food and water. And we're smart enough... I believe we're smart enough to realize that we can only have all that through cooperative effort. I believe that those who choose to do right can keep those who don't in check without sacrificing the trust that must be maintained in order for a society to function, trust that's broken by things like murder, rape, kidnapping, theft, the things that arise out of attitudes like rage, lust, jealousy, greed, and the like. I believe in penal colonies, not the death penalty, but I believe in colonies where there are no guards, there are no funds, the only resources are what you can scrape from whatever soil you might be living on, and if you don't pull your weight the people around you who also suffer such poor impulse control and such depraved thinking that they can't be part of society will deal with you as they see fit. Australia did pretty well coming from a start like that, and I wouldn't mind at all if the Moon and Mars were first populated by miscreants who really shouldn't live here amongst civilized people. They'll learn, or they'll die, but it's not on anyone else's head either way. I believe that we'll never live in a utopia, we're humans and it's our job to make it, break it, and make it better; that breaking part means things won't always be peachy, but I also believe that life could be generally good, rather than the generally miserable it seems to be for too many right now. And come to think of it, this is the quickest way for us to get from where we are now to there, put the screws to us with someone up our asses all the time scrutinizing and judging every move, meting out punishment to thinking adults as they see fit for any choice they deem unfit until we've had it and we choose not to take it anymore. We'll keep reacting with violence and revolution until one day we realize we're just perpetuating the cycle and we decide to act like grown-ups, take the reins of our own lives (and no one else's except those for whom we are truly responsible), and calmly say, "No thank you, I don't need your [aherm, rather heavy-handed] 'guidance' when it comes to how I deal with my life, my body, my choices, you can go ahead and keep those opinions (and laws) to yourself until I ask for them (and I might if you didn't insist upon offering them so freely). For my part, I'll be goin' about my business over here, stayin' outta yours unless you need a hand with somethin' and ask for my help; you just call me if you need me, or if ya wanna hang out." That will be evolution, into a more mature (and probably enjoyable) version of ourselves. :)

Posted via email from Moments of Awareness

Comments