Copyright and Intellectual Property

As a blogger and a former software developer, I must frequently deal with copyright issues.  For most of my adult life, intellectual property has been my primary source of livelihood and remains so to this day.  While some people take issue with the concept of intellectual property and believe that all content should be free, I don’t count myself among them.  In fact, for the most part I consider the anti-copyright fanatics rather juvenile and intellectually immature.  Too often their utopian language is merely a hollow shell around the desire to get something for nothing.

Overall I happen to think that modern copyright law is extremely fair, balanced, and wise.  I think it’s perfectly reasonable for the creator of an original work to retain control over his/her creation while at the same time providing the means for others to benefit from that work, to reference it, and to discuss and debate it without undue restrictions.  Creating an original work can take considerable effort, and even though the digital age has stretched some copyright analogies beyond their useful life, I believe the basic premise that creators are entitled to manage their own creations is still sound.

I’m speaking strictly about copyrights here — trademarks and patents are separate issues and are beyond the scope of this article.

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~

This entry was posted on Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 at 3:04 pm and is filed under Balance, Business, Entrepreneurship, Planning, Problem Solving, Technology. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.

Full article at stevepavlina.com

Er... Oops! :/

 

Posted via email from Peace Jaway

Comments