Soldier: "Do they realize we're still over here?" – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

By Danielle Dellorto
CNN Medical Producer

I remember shuffling through moondust up to my knees in Helmand Province when a U.S. Army combat medic turned to me and said, “If I ask you something, do you promise you’ll be honest?” I nodded yes. “Do people back home still think about us? Do they realize we’re still over here?”

U.S. Army medic chopper in Afghanistan.
U.S. Army medic chopper in Afghanistan.

I’ll never forget that moment.

Truth is, while most of America might know that 62,000 U.S. military personnel are in theater, they apparently aren’t happy about it. A recent CNN/Opinion Research poll found support of the war in Afghanistan has hit a new low. Only 39 percent favor U.S. military action in Afghanistan.

But does supporting the overall mission go hand-in-hand with supporting the troops?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta and I recently embedded with U.S. Army combat medics in Afghanistan. I slept where they slept, ate what they ate, and followed them day in and day out. Their job is to rescue and triage injured soldiers at a moment’s notice. They are always ready. They even slept with their shoes on.

CNN team and rescue medic in Afghanistan.
CNN team and rescue medic in Afghanistan.

It didn’t take long for me to realize that these soldiers were no different from the factory worker in middle America. Both work tirelessly in their jobs, both want to succeed, both want to provide for their families. And despite the echoes of mortar fire over their shoulders, extreme heat and no communication with loved ones – I never heard the soldiers complain. I watched the medics save countless lives: sons and daughters, husbands and wives from all around the world. Why? It’s their job.

So as I looked in the eyes of that U.S. soldier – the one who feared America might have forgotten about him – I realized my job is to not only report on the medical military operations but also to highlight the courageous stories of those risking their own lives to save others in Afghanistan.

I am back home now…and I still think about them.

Posted via email from Peace Jaway

Comments

  1. What isn't seen on the news are the hundreds of thousands of Americans who DO think of them everyday. The care package parties, the donations of time and money to organizations who offer aid and support to the troops, the families who tirelessly write letters, post yellow ribbons, hang their blue stars are just a few. Companies who provide morale boosters, Americans who participate in the USO and communities who welcome home their troops. No, we are not plastered all over the place or make the evening headlines. But, we are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the soldiers are keenly aware and deeply appreciative of what you all do. A thing that always touched me when we lived in North Carolina was the row of sheets that lined the fences along the highway at off-base housing for Camp LeJeune. You could always tell when a deployment was ending by how much of the fence was visible between them. Thanks for the reminder, for supporting the troops, and for stoppin' by MOA. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment