"It's not you...

... it's me." What if that's true in many cases, and what if we chose to accept it as such in any case in which it's humanly possible? How much easier could life be if we'd quit forcing people to tell us what's wrong with us when in fact nothing is. Or if something is we're dealing with it, or we're not, whatever, but isn't it possible that instead of something being wrong with us or us having done something wrong, that other person really did just have a bad moment (or whatever it is they say)?

I find it makes my life easier to accept this explanation (although I often find it frustrating), but I also find that it doesn't hurt to examine my AssUM(e)ptions from time to time; maybe it's a better idea to press others to come up with a reason it can't just simply be 'them'. After all, if 'it's not you, it's me' is often true, the same would apply in my direction, it's probably 'me', and if indeed it is me I need to be making course corrections as I go. If I can't figure out how it could be me, maybe it'd be a good idea for me to accept that it really is you, and there's nothing I can do about that except accept you as you are and make my choices based upon who I know I am, who I believe you are, and how we mesh when we're together.

Whether it's 'you' or it's 'me' becomes moot when we each realize that not only are we the same but either we enjoy/find interesting/endure our time together or we are apart. When my time with you is not enjoyable (or yours with me) it's probably best to be away from one another unless we have a greater investment than simple joy in another's being (in our respective lives). If we have a greater investment, it's on us to decide how much we can afford to lose, because even the safest investments can be jeopardized by nature or circumstance. Since we've established here that it's always 'me', whomever I may be, the only place I can afford a complete investment is myself, but since you are who I am in some way, shape, or form, I can also invest in what of you is me, and what I know is worth investing in about myself, and therefore you.

The 'sixth sense' is common sense, the sense common to, and accessible by, the commonality of 'all' (of us, and of you).

Comments